Re: version mismatch detection doesn't work

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PgSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: version mismatch detection doesn't work
Date: 2002-09-28 16:28:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane dijo:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:
> > Seems the functionality to detect old versions of the postmaster with
> > newer psql doesn't work.
>
> What functionality? psql has never had such a test. I think you
> are thinking of pg_dump.

No, I was thinking of psql. There was a discussion some time ago about
mismatching versions; I don't know where I got the idea that the
conclusion had been that if versions mismatched, psql would barf. (The
conclusion was to add the version number to psql.)

"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. frances)