Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?
Date: 2002-09-28 15:02:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift dijo:

Hi,

> Ran a benchmark against the database, REINDEX'd the tables, VACUUM FULL
> ANALYZE'd, prepared to re-run the benchmark again and guess what?
>
> The indexes were back on the original drive.

Yes, this is expected.  Same for CLUSTER.  They create a different
filenode and point the relation (table or index) at it.

I think the separate space for indexes is a good idea.  However, and
this is orthogonal, I feel the way REINDEX works now is not the best,
because it precludes you from using the index while you are doing it.

I'm trying to implement a way to concurrently compact the indexes.
I hope to have it for 7.4.

Y una voz del caos me hablo y me dijo
"Sonrie y se feliz, podria ser peor".
Y sonrei. Y fui feliz.