Re: RESTRICT / CASCADE

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RESTRICT / CASCADE
Date: 2002-09-09 18:40:23
Lists: pgsql-docs
Rod Taylor writes:

> If the defaults are different, perhaps the documentation should show
> it's examples using RESTRICT or CASCADE explicitly?

Well, we're describing PostgreSQL, not other database systems that might
act differently.

I believe most SQL guides/books/courses/etc. simply use DROP TABLE name;
and this has also been historical practice in PostgreSQL, so we would
confuse users pretty heavily by adding RESTRICT or CASCADE everywhere.

Also, in most examples the choice between RESTRICT and CASCADE would have
to be arbitrarily made by the documentation writer and might not be what
the user really wanted to do.