Re: BLOBs

From: "Aurangzeb M(dot) Agha" <aagha(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Warwick Hunter <whunter(at)agile(dot)tv>
Cc: Chad Thompson <chad(at)weblinkservices(dot)com>, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOBs
Date: 2002-08-16 04:26:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

I hope this isn't getting too academic, but why not store the path to
blobs in the DB and access them in some other fashion?

Rgs,
Aurangzeb

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Warwick Hunter wrote:

:Chad
:
:I am using PostgreSQL to store BLOBS. I can't say that the
:performance I am getting is wonderful, but it is adequate
:for my purposes for now. Few people are every satisfied
:with the performance of their database anyway :-)
:
:I have done some performance testing on PostgreSQL and have
:discovered that on an Linux Intel machine with reasonably fast
:SCSI discs I can get average performance numbers like these:
:
:Binary BLOB Size
:300 KB read=24 ms write=185 ms del=105 ms
:150 KB read=11 ms write=90 ms del=51 ms
: 5 KB read=2.5 ms write=14 ms del=11 ms
:
:I have done a small amount of tuning of the PostgreSQL
:configuration. I plan to do some more.
:
:> Or is storing BLOBs in a DB a good idea?
:
:I have found PostgreSQL to be quite robust. I have a
:test that deliberately kills the postmaster and postgres
:subprocesses while doing write operations to see if I
:can cause the database to be corrupted. This test
:rarely fails.
:
:This test fails more regularly if you rewrite the
:data of an existing BLOB rather than create a new
:one and delete the old one. So now I only ever create
:a new BLOB.
:
:I have seen one instance when the power on a machine
:failed while writing a BLOB caused one BLOB to not
:be restored correctly when the database came up.
:I plan to investigate this and report a bug if
:appropriate.
:
:I looked at the bytea data type for storing my objects
:as regular columns. However I was unable to make it work
:with the normal SQL statements, the binary data always
:upset the SQL command and the escaping routines didn't
:seem to help.
:
:Warwick
:

--
Aurangzeb M. Agha | Email : aagha(at)bigfoot(dot)com
| Home : +3 010 8959.558
34 Nafsika St. | Direct: +3 010 8995.875
Voula 16673 | Mobile: TBD
Greece | Voice : 415 412 4234 (US Only)
| e-Fax : 978 246.0770
PGP ID: 0x68B3A763 |

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little

- Benjamin Franklin