Re: PgAccess directory structure

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgAccess directory structure
Date: 2002-05-12 09:23:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Nigel J. Andrews writes:

> That the lib directory gain one level of subdirectories called
> Pg<postgres-version>, that code specific to backend version be placed in these
> directories and that version independent code by kept in the lib directory.

Other tools that try to handle more than one version usually just do a

if (backend_version < 7.2)
do this;
else
do that;

(examples: JDBC, ODBC, pg_dump). (Even if "do this" would be empty, you
can print a message or something.)

Keeping a separate file for each version may lead to a lot of duplicate
code being necessary and hard to maintain. (All the module-loading stuff
you mentioned makes my head spin, but I can understand an "if" statement
like the above. ;-) )

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net