Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy <adulau-conos(at)conostix(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new food for the contrib/ directory
Date: 2002-04-18 12:36:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

first comment :

* a special directory with ./contrib/gpl ?

second comment :

* I don't really understand your position regarding the GNU General Public
License. The GPL is offering multiple advantages for a big project and
software like PostgreSQL. For example :

* Contribution back to the main tree more easy if redistribution.
(like HP and Samba team are doing, copyright holder remains samba team)

* More easy to get a RF (Royalty Free) license from a patent
owner. (this is guarantee for him that it will not go back to
proprietary software where it's not a RF license) (like the
UB-Trees)

* A possible bigger audience.

Dual licensing is also an alternative but could be a real mess.

It's just idea.

alx