Re: seq scan on indexed column

From: postgresql(at)fruru(dot)com
To: "Zhang, Anna" <azhang(at)verisign(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: seq scan on indexed column
Date: 2002-03-14 22:28:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Zhang, Anna wrote:

> gtld_analysis=# explain SELECT NETBLOCK_START
> gtld_analysis-# FROM GTLD_OWNER
> gtld_analysis-# WHERE NETBLOCK_START = -2147483648;

You might want to try the same query but with the constant integer
enclosed in single quotes. I find that (at least for int8) this changes
the behaviour wrt index usage -- most probably due to automatic
typecasting in the postgresql SQL parser.

Hope this helps...
Tycho

--
Tycho Fruru tycho(dot)fruru(at)conostix(dot)com
Users' impressions of different operating systems, expressed as emoticons: