Re: Database corruption?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vadim Mikheev <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Database corruption?
Date: 2001-10-30 15:51:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:

> > The database has been running for months without trouble. I'm now trying
> > desperate measures, but I fear I will have to restore from backup (a week
> > old). I have taken a tarball of the complete location (pg_xlog included and
> > all that stuff) if anyone wants to see it (but it's 2 GB).
>
> As I said to Denis in the earlier thread, it would be good to try to
> track down which page is corrupted and maybe then we'd understand how
> it got that way. Since you have the database tarball, you have the
> raw material to look into it --- you'd need to rebuild Postgres with
> debug symbols enabled and trace back from the failure points to learn
> more. Are you up to that, or could you grant access to your machine to
> someone who is?

The problem ended up being bad RAM (it was good two weeks ago). I don't
think it's of any use to do anything else with the database. Sorry for
the noise.

If you think it's useful anyway, I can recompile and see what's up. Do
you think so?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[(at)]atentus(dot)com>)
"Nadie esta tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siendolo" (Goethe)