Re: commit so slow program looks frozen

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Carlo Stonebanks <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: commit so slow program looks frozen
Date: 2006-10-26 17:10:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
> A context switch storm is when your machine spends more time trying to
> figure out what to do than actually doing anything.  The CPU spends most
> it's time switching between programs than running them.

Well, we usually use the term "thrashing" as the generic for when your
machine is spending more time on overhead than doing user work - this
would include paging or context switching, along with whatever else. A
context-switch storm would be a specific form of thrashing!

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation