Re: BUG #2579: initcap should not capitalize letter

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Dan Franklin <dfranklin(at)fen(dot)com>
Cc: <tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2579: initcap should not capitalize letter
Date: 2006-08-19 17:34:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Dan Franklin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:34:41 -0400
> From: Dan Franklin <dfranklin(at)fen(dot)com>
> To: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
> Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #2579: initcap should not capitalize letter
>
> Good point.  It is probably not possible to get
> it perfect.  But I think that possessives and
> contractions occur more often in a typical body
> of text than Irish names.  So it would be right
> more often, even if it is still wrong some of the time.
>
>          Dan  Franklin

Two thoughts:

1) In English at least, it's only at the trailing end of a word that the
non-capitalization is clear (contractions, possessive, etc).

2) Proper names are unknowable as to what's appropriate and I posit that
there is no algorithm that works for names.

This leads to a conclusion: Never add capitalization inside a string of
letters.

Rgds,
Richard

--