Re: error in upper()

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Klaus Ita <klaus(dot)ita(at)ai(dot)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error in upper()
Date: 2006-08-19 16:49:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Klaus,

I must have missed the bug submitted about this, but as a student of
German I took particular interest in your post.

I'm unaware of any upper case or lower case for 'ß', just as there is no
upper or lower case for '@'. So, I'd expect the function to pass it
through. It's not - or shouldn't be - the business of upper() or lower()
to translate your characters for you which haven't got an appropriate
upper or lower case version...

Rgds,
Richard

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Klaus Ita wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:44:27 +0200
> From: Klaus Ita <klaus(dot)ita(at)ai(dot)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
> To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: [BUGS] error in upper()
>
> I know that tom is going to say this is not a bug in pg and he is probably
> right. but still i want to state, that in pg 8.1 the
>
> select lower(upper('ß'))
>
> does not return 'ss'. because the upper('ß') does not return 'SS' in the
> first place. I know, german is a terrible language, but still - we are using
> it :-)
>
> thx,
> klaus
>
> and tom. there is no offence at all! I love Pg and the work you are doing.
> thank you!

Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation
510-924-1363 or 202-747-1263