Re: error in upper()

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Klaus Ita <klaus(dot)ita(at)ai(dot)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error in upper()
Date: 2006-08-19 16:49:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Klaus,

I must have missed the bug submitted about this, but as a student of
German I took particular interest in your post.

I'm unaware of any upper case or lower case for 'ß', just as there is no
upper or lower case for '@'. So, I'd expect the function to pass it
through. It's not - or shouldn't be - the business of upper() or lower()
to translate your characters for you which haven't got an appropriate
upper or lower case version...

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Klaus Ita wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:44:27 +0200
> From: Klaus Ita <klaus(dot)ita(at)ai(dot)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
> To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: [BUGS] error in upper()
> I know that tom is going to say this is not a bug in pg and he is probably
> right. but still i want to state, that in pg 8.1 the
> select lower(upper('ß'))
> does not return 'ss'. because the upper('ß') does not return 'SS' in the
> first place. I know, german is a terrible language, but still - we are using
> it :-)
> thx,
> klaus
> and tom. there is no offence at all! I love Pg and the work you are doing.
> thank you!

Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation
510-924-1363 or 202-747-1263