Re: Upgrade to Win XP Service Pak 2 SP2 causes connection

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade to Win XP Service Pak 2 SP2 causes connection
Date: 2004-10-20 18:52:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Randall Perry wrote:

> Now the app gives this error:
>
> This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site.
> Microsoft Acess will not open the file due to potential security problems.
> To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network location.
>
> We've tried turning off the WinXP firewall entirely, adding the server IP to
> trusted internet sites, all to no avail.

I have seen similar things happening with any application not of the
Microsoft fold. One case where xmms on a Linux box had to download/copy
the whole album from a Win2003 share before it would play (no streaming).

And another where a MS Office application (on a new WinXP Home desktop
with all non-SP2 updates applied) requests a virus scan when opening a
file on a SAMBA share (rather old RHL/SAMBA installation though) and would
take up to 2+ minutes (I tweaked settings and got it down to 20-30
seconds) to open a simple spreadsheet. OpenOffice.org opened it in 3-5
seconds.

> Any one else run into this?

Not yours specifically but I see a pattern here. I'll ask the guy that
sorted out the xmms issue what he did to fix it.

Rod