Re: @#$%^& Access and PostgreSQL

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: @#$%^& Access and PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-15 17:31:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Philippe Lang wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Firstly, beleive me, Access linked to Postgresql through ODBC works
> really well. The driver works fine, I'm using it every day, several
> clients too.

Used to be for me also a year or three ago.  This new go-round (I spent
three plus years not having to deal with MS Access) it has been anything
but smooth.  The few times before it was a slam dunk.

> How do you "query and fiddle with the data in Access"? You have to use
> a ***linked ODBC table***, and in this case, updates are transparent.
> You simply modify the data, and the updates are generated for you. Is
> that what you are trying to do?

Philippe, this is the term I was missing.  'Linked' ODBC tables.  For some
reason when I created the Access portion last week there was no ODBC data
sources for linked tables ... I think.  Probably had something else in
mind when I tried using this option.  No there wasn't.  It's working now.

Thanks to all for suggestions and a couple of clue-sticks.

Rod