Re: Why queries takes too much time to execute?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Anderson Boechat Lopes <teouique(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why queries takes too much time to execute?
Date: 2004-05-10 19:59:12
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Anderson Boechat Lopes wrote:

>     Hum... now i think i´m beginning to understand.
>
>     The vacuum analyse is recommended to perform at least every day, after
> adding or deleting a large number of records, and not vacuum full analyse.
> I´ve performed the vacuum full analyse every day and after some time i´ve
> noticed the database was corrupted. I couldn´t select anything any more.

Hold it right there, full stop.

If you've got corruption you've either found a rare corner case in
postgresql (unlikely, corruption is not usually a big problem for
postgresql) OR you have bad hardware.  Test your RAM, CPUs, and hard
drives before going any further.   Data corruption, 99% of the time, is
not the fault of postgresql but the fault of the hardware.