Re: Question

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Jerry Robertson <jrrobert(at)rgid(dot)net>
Cc: <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question
Date: 2004-04-27 20:49:13
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Jerry Robertson wrote:

> We have been running Postgre for over a year and are very pleased with its ease of use and performance.
>
> We have encountered one problem that has been minor until today and that is:
>
> Occasionally a row in a table get populated with #Deleted comments.  The entire row can not be deleted.  Generally
> this does not get displayed, however, today it is.  Can you help?

Are these rows that maybe your application is doing this to, or are these
rows that are getting deleted in postgresql but still somehow showing up?

It sounds like you've either found a very rare occuring bug (no one else
has reported anything like this that I've seen) or maybe are having some
kind of hardware issue where bits aren't getting set quite right.

When postgresql "deletes" a tuple prior to it being vacuumed, it simply
sets a time stamp on it that vacuum can use to see it is "deleted" and no
longer visible.  If you are actually getting back tuples with the words
#Deleted in them, then I would guess you have an application error.