Re: [SQL] SQL script

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: <vickr1z(at)operamail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] SQL script
Date: 2004-04-19 20:17:48
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-sql
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 vickr1z(at)operamail(dot)com wrote:

> good day toall..
> imm running postgreSQL on linux.
> my main goal is to create a script that will dump a data from our server too  my  local PC. the content of the script would be execute sql command in one shot:
> 1. dump data
> 2. update and insert some rows to selected table.
>
> how can i accommplish this task and also how can i run this script? is there any one ccan help me. any idea will appreciate very much.

Just FYI, this might get better response on the admin mailing list...

So, what is your local PC running?  Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows?  If NOT
windows, then just install a copy of postgresql on it real quick to get
access to the pg_dump utilities et. al. and use that to remotely dump the
data out of the server onto your local machine.

Are you updating / inserting back into the big server, or locally?  either
way, the easiest way I've found to do it is to use a scripting language
I'm familiar with (perl, PHP, python, tcl, etc...) and massage the data in
whatever ways you need to and then insert it into the database with that
scripting languages pg interface package.  Other ways of doing it would be
to get it into a SQL dump format and use psql to insert it.