Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?
Date: 2004-03-31 15:56:05
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Andrew Biagioni wrote:

> Alex,
>
> the answer is "no" to all of these.  We are a tiny start-up (2 guys, and
> we do our own cleaning);  ambient temperature varies significantly but
> is not related to the failure, and one machine starts beeping when it
> gets too hot (then we added an extra case fan);  no fancy watchdogs
> (maybe someday...  One can only dream :-> );  three different cases,
> power supplies, motherboards, etc., etc. (one power supply is
> extra-large, and that's the machine that started failing first!).
>
> We originally blamed the problem on hardware failure (first machine);
> then on OS version/configuration (second machine);  now we're out of
> things to blame, except maybe unusually bad luck...

What did memtest86 say?

Did the same person build all the machines?  I've seen plenty of folks
build machines and zap the memory when installing it.  >95% of all ESD
failures are partial / delayed failures, so just because a computer boots
up doesn't mean proper ESD procedures were followed, and if not, and if
you're in a dry environment like I am (I live in Denver) then it's quite
possible all three have bad CPU/mobo/memory or something like that.