Re: PG vs MySQL

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 21:22:20
Lists: pgsql-general
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
> > since the purpose of the pg_hba.conf file is to ensure that you never
> > manage to lock yourself out of your database, might it make sense to have
> > a pg_hba table in each database that can be / will be / should be(???)
> > overidden by the pg_hba.conf file,
>
> I don't think we want user authentication driven off of actual tables.
> That would mean paying *all* the costs of backend launch before we could
> reject an invalid connection request.
>
> It might be possible to do something with a flat file as an intermediary
> between the postmaster and the tables that are the master data.  We
> already do this for pg_shadow passwords, and I've been thinking of
> proposing that we add a flat file for the database name -> OID mapping
> so we could get rid of the horrid hack that is GetRawDatabaseInfo().
> Per-database flat files would be a bit messy though.

Actually, I had thought of pg_hba as being a global table, not a per
database one.  That would mean only one flat file, wouldn't it?

And while we're at it, maybe we should have a setting somewhere should
someone execute the famous "update pg_shadow set usesuper = false" that
someone did a while back to be able to force an account to be a superuser
account.  In postgresql.conf or something like it.  While it's another
problem, it falls under the same "keeping people from locking themselves
out" thread.