Re: BTrees with record numbers

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Chad <chadzakary(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BTrees with record numbers
Date: 2004-03-01 16:30:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 Feb 2004, Chad wrote:

> Is it possible for Postgres Btrees to support access by logical row number ?
> If not available is ti a huge job to support for sombebody willing to have a go ?

Are talking about logical row operators as maintained by your own code
outside the database, or having postgresql suddenly start maintaining
logical row numbers? I doubt postgresql will ever have built in logical
row numbers because maintaining them in a materialized way is quite
expensive.

On the other hand, if you just need logical row numbers for a one off
thing, you can do this:

create temp sequence judy;
select *, nextval('judy') from mytable;