Re: Too many clients

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Andy Dunlop <andy(at)infocus(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Too many clients
Date: 2004-02-27 21:46:57
Lists: pgsql-php
On 27 Feb 2004, Andy Dunlop wrote:

> I hope this goes to the right place!
>
> I occasionally get the error "too many clients" when connecting to the
> database. I try restarting the Postgres server and also Apache, but the
> only thing that clears the problem is restarting Linux. I have maxusers
> set to 35, and I am the only user, so I suspect I am not doing something
> in my scripts that I should be, or doing something that I shouldn't be!
> I have the pg_connect at the top of the script so each time it loads the
> page it does a new connect - maybe this is a problem?

1:  Make sure you're not using pg_pconnect, but this doesn't sound like
that's the problem.  Just making sure.

2:  It sounds like php may be crashing at some point it its execution.  Do
you have a log of its output when it's running?  I've seen issues where if
you compile apache against one set of libs and php against another, then
apache/php starts having children crash and doesn't close the connections.
It takes a certain amount of time for the timeout to hit on the TCP/IP
layer and for the pg backend to close.

Are you sure you're actually closing down postgresql all the way when you
say you tried restarting the postgresql server?  It could be that it's not
shutting all the way down.  What does 'ps ax|grep post' say?