Re: SSL without verifying server certificate

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Nolden <oliver_nol(at)yahoo(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSL without verifying server certificate
Date: 2004-02-17 03:35:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Oliver Nolden wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>  I want to realize a secure database connection with jdbc and SSL
> between an applet and a postgres database 7.4. The driver
> pg74jdbc3.jar supports SSL, I created the server certificates with
> OpenSSL. The postgres server works fine with ssl. To establish a ssl
> connection with the client, you have to import the self-signed
> certificate to the client`s machine.

Java's ssl implementation requires authenticating the server I believe.
I think a better question to ask would be if there was any way to
programmatically supply the server's certificate instead of having to
import it into the cert.  Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that
question.

Kris Jurka