Re: 7.3.4 freezing

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: MaRCeLO PeReiRA <gandalf_mp(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3.4 freezing
Date: 2004-01-28 18:29:20
Lists: pgsql-general
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, MaRCeLO PeReiRA wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> After PostgreSQL freeze some times, I am moving from
> 7.3.4 to 7.4.1, trying to solve this problem.
>
> When the daemon get frozen, I can't even use psql to
> browse a database (as if the database was down for
> some reason, or the daemon is not running).
>
> In these cases, a "pg_ctl -D /var/db stop" followed by
> a "pg_ctl -D /var/db start" fix the problem.
>
> I was not saving the logs in a file, so I can't show
> you the messages. Now I am saving it.
>
> Do you know some bug on this version (7.3.4)???
>
> I will try 7.4.1 and seek for bugs!

Is the machine becoming unresponsive?  I.e. is it taking several seconds
for things like ls to run?

What does top show for postgresql memory and cpu usage?

Is postgresql really freezing, or just running REALLY slow?  I.e.
sometimes if you wait long enough you can get in to what seems to be a
frozen database