Re: Write cache

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: <ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"'pgsql-hackers list'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Write cache
Date: 2004-01-28 17:57:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr wrote:

> I agree I MAY have an hardware problem. What happens is more a system
> freeze than a system crash (there's no panic, no nothing, just freezes, no
> disk activity, not network)

I would suspect either bad hardware,a flakey SCSI driver, or a possible
kernel bug.  If your system is freezing hard, it is NOT postgresql's
fault.  It simply doesn't have the access to the kind of system resources
needed to freeze a machine.

Is there a different SCSI driver / card you can try in there?  We've (and
many others have too) had good luck with the LSI/MegaRAID cards and both
the older 1.18 seris and new 2.x series drivers.  No freezes, no crashes,
no hangs on the boxes with those in them.