Re: New PostgreSQL search resource

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New PostgreSQL search resource
Date: 2004-01-19 20:27:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Well, if you search for select distinct... OpenFTS automatically searches
> for select & distinct. My search returned:
>
> 5 results with the first one being this:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/community//search.lxp?lxpwrap=734/queries-select-lists.html
>
> Which seems fairly accurate ;). Perhaps a better description of what the
> problem actually is or
> the behavior you are expecting?

Yes, phrase searching generally means you enter an exact string of words,
in a particular order, and it searches on those strings in that order.

this comes in handy when looking for strings where the words together mean
one thing, and apart may mean something else, like

set transaction isolation level

Many of those words appear throughout the docs, and may well all appear on
the same page but not be tied together with each other on each page.

If we do a phrase search we only see the places where those words are
together. Individual word searching gives me 11 results in htdig, whereas
the phrase gives me 3 hits, the second of which is obviously the correct
one (the first is release notes for 6.5... hmmm.) With the 11 results,
moves it down to number 7.

This is especially useful when you can search on a couple of small phrases
that might go together. Anyway, it's no big deal, just wondering if it
supported phrase searching.