Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Alexander Priem <ap(at)cict(dot)nl>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?
Date: 2003-10-21 15:40:49
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Alexander Priem wrote:

> The machine is going to be used for a pretty large database (well over 100
> tables with some of them containing over a million records from the start,
> number of tables and records will grow (much?) larger in the future). This
> database is going to be used by a pretty large number of employees. The
> number of concurrent users will vary between 1 - 100 or so, depending on the
> time of day etc. This will be a database containing client and supplier data
> as well as product descriptions and prices/ingredients/labels/brands etc.
> Database use will include lots of SELECTS but also lots of INSERTS/UPDATES,
> i.e. the database will be pretty active during bussiness hours...
>
> I think you (Scott and Will) are right when you say that NAS devices are not
> ideal for this kind of thing. I have been thinking about the hardware
> configuration for this machine for some time now (and had a lot of hints
> through this list already) and decided to go for a SCSI RAID config after
> all. The extra costs will be worth it   :)
>
> The machine I have in mind now is like this :
>
> Dell PowerEdge 1750 machine with Intel Xeon CPU at 3 GHz and 4 GB of RAM.
> This machine will contain a PERC4/Di RAID controller with 128MB of battery
> backed cache memory. The O/S and logfiles will be placed on a RAID-1 setup
> of two 36Gb SCSI-U320 drives (15.000rpm). Database data will be placed on a
> Dell PowerVault 220S rack-module containing six 36Gb SCSI-U320 drives
> (15.000rpm) in a RAID-10 setup. This PowerVault will be connected to the DB
> server via a SCSI cable...

Funny, we're looking at the same basic type of system here, but with a
Perc3/CI controller.  We have a local supplier who gives us machines with
a 3 year warranty and looks to be $1,000 to $2,000 lower than the Dell.

We're just going to run two 73 Gig drives in a RAID1 to start with, with
battery backed RAM.

So that brings up my question, which is better, the Perc4 or Perc3
controllers, and what's the difference between them?  I find Dell's
tendency to hide other people's hardware behind their own model numbers
mildly bothersome, as it makes it hard to comparison shop.