Re: Help me

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Tran Anh Tu <trantu(at)vnu(dot)edu(dot)vn>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help me
Date: 2003-09-11 19:15:29
Lists: pgsql-php

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Tran Anh Tu wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have installed Mandrake 9.0. and postgresql is installed automatically.
> When I start postgresql by the command:
> postmaster -i
> have a error message:
>
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user id to prevent
> a possible system security compromise. See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
>
> With Mandrake 8.0, I do nothing to config postgresql. So what I can do to
> config it now? Please help me! thank you very much.

Is this an RPM install or a .tar.gz install?

If an RPM install, try, as root:

service pgsql start

Note that pgsql may not be the name, it could be something else. look for
a file in /etc/rc.d/init.d with a name that seems like postgresql and
substitute it for pgsql above.

If it is a tar.gz install, you'll have to create an account (or use one
that already exists) to 'initdb', set PGDATA and 'pg_ctl start' or
'postmaster -i -D datadir'