Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>,"Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>,Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-04 16:37:16
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Are we actually arguing about whether or not Postmaster should be allowed to
> run as root?
>
> I thought this question was settled, like, 5 years ago.
>
> If migrating MySQL users have trouble with it, maybe we should focus on
> supplying a battery of sample startup and maintainence scripts for them
> instead of monkeying with PostgreSQL's security setup?

No, I would consider that to have been a "thread jacking" over the weekend
while I was away.  I don't read the lists on the weekends (I don't even
check my email, I pretty much disappear two days a week from the
internet).

anyway, the real issue is that there are common issues that we see from
migrating MySQL users, and we should probably have a "oh, you're coming
from MySQL-land?  read this." kind of document.

The fact that most mysql users see not running as root as a heavy handed
tactic from the postgresql people, and not as a security issue give us a
hint on how to write such a document.