Re: Help. Pg not running

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Asidha Luhwidyanto <asd(at)dijogja(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help. Pg not running
Date: 2003-06-30 17:10:36
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Asidha Luhwidyanto wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm sorry, I'm a beginer in PostgreSQL.
>
> I have problem with my PostgreSQL after my server un complete shutdown.
> When i want to run postmaster there some error massage and postmaster can't
> run.
>
> this is the massage :
>
> DEBUG: database system was interrupted at 2003-06-28 02:41:38 JAVT
> DEBUG: open(logfile 0 seg 0) failed: No such file or directory
> DEBUG: Invalid primary checkPoint record
> DEBUG: open(logfile 0 seg 0) failed: No such file or directory
> DEBUG: Invalid secondary checkPoint record
> FATAL 2: Unable to locate a valid CheckPoint record
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 1747 exited with status 512 -
> abort

What exactly led to this?  It sounds like some files got deleted out from
underneath postgresql, specifically the pg_clog and pg_xlog directories.

How exactly was the server shutdown?  It may be a little hard to get the
hackers in on this right away, as they're rushing to feature freeze of 1
July 2003...