Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Chris Smith <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default
Date: 2003-06-24 15:36:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

But my argument is that NOTHING should be enabled "by default" unless it
already has connection libraries. Including a static (i.e. not updated
when postgresql gets updated) connection library is a bad thing, since any
bug in the connection lib will live on in the staticly linked connection
code shipped with PHP.

If the connection libs for DB2, Oracle, and Postgresql are found on the
machine, then PHP should autoconfigure to use them. If they're not there,
then including them in the php distro is short sighted and likely to cause
as many problems as it fixes.

Keep in mind that including the MySQL libs with PHP was a mixed bag, since
using a different mysql connect lib for PHP and another for apache if you
use mod_auth_mysql would result in a crashing server situation that was
suboptimal.

Rather than include ANY interface, I think it would be wiser to only use
the connect libs that are already on a server. I got the feeling Sterling
agreed with me on that point, by the way.