Re: checking currval

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
Cc: Weiping He <laser(at)zhengmai(dot)com(dot)cn>, Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checking currval
Date: 2003-06-18 15:13:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

What flavor Postgresql are you running? That works on both my 7.2.x boxes
and my 7.3 boxes. If you're running anything older than 7.2.x, you might
wanna upgrade before asking for help, since folks tend to assume you're
running at least 7.2 around here.

Note that this IS NOT TRANSACTION safe. If two processes do this at the
same time and operate on that number, you can have a race condition that
will cause you problems.

Use the nextval,setval,currval functions for transaction safe sequence
work.