Re: System lockup

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: DeJuan Jackson <djackson(at)speedfc(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: System lockup
Date: 2003-03-31 19:30:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, DeJuan Jackson wrote:

> Then I think it's a kernel (Red Hat kernel 2.4) bug, because I've had
> the same issue on 4 different machines of different ages and
> configurations, using the same or similar datasets and using different
> ones. I wanted to eliminate postgres as a culprit because it would be
> the easiest thing to correct.
>
> As noted in my previous post I'm currently experiencing the problem on a
> Red Hat 8.0 and 7.2 (fully errata patched) (and am currently testing a
> RH7.1 install without patching the kernel to see what I get [so far no
> lockups {4 days production load}]).
>
> So, I think it's time ti switch to FreeBSD, or move my question to a Red
> Hat list. I'll give the Red Hat geeks a chance to answer before
> becoming a trait..., I mean moving to FreeBSD.

I use RH 7.2 for VERY heavy database/apache/ldap load and it never ever
locks up. How's your setup for things in the BIOS? I've found that
settings like SMP mode 1.1 versus 1.4 in some BIOSes makes a difference
(lockups with 1.1, works fine in 1.4). I'd take a look at what's common
on the boxes hardware wise, i.e. NICs, motherboards, video cards, hard
drives, scsi controllers, BIOS settings for the PCI bus or memory speed
etc...