Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Bjoern Metzdorf <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on
Date: 2002-11-21 20:17:05
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

> > A mirrored 2x36 setup will probably yield a marginal hit on writes (vs a
> > single disk) and an improvement on reads due to having two drives to read
> > from and will (based on the Scientific Wild Ass Guess method and knowing
>
> slightly offtopic:
>
> Does anyone one if linux software raid 1 supports this method (reading from
> both disks, thus doubling performance)?

Yes, it does. Generally speaking, it increases raw throughput by a factor
of 2 if you're grabbing enough data to justify reading it from both
drives. But for most database apps, you don't read enough at a time to
get a gain from this. I.e. if your stripe size is 8k and you're reading
1k at a time, no gain.

However, under parallel load, the extra drives really help.

In fact, the linux kernel supports >2 drives in a mirror. Useful for a
mostly read database that needs to handle lots of concurrent users.