Re: pg_config : postgresql.conf adjustments?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_config : postgresql.conf adjustments?
Date: 2002-09-29 16:34:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > Would it be beneficial for us to extend "pg_config" to update the
> > postgresql.conf file?
>
> This seems far outside pg_config's charter.  It is a simple
> information reporter that can be run by anybody.  Making it able
> to mess with (or even look at) postgresql.conf introduces a host
> of permissions problems and logistical issues.
>
> I don't really see what's wrong with using a text editor anyway ;-)

Obviously he wants a tool that allows setting parameters from a shell
script or something for use within pg_autotune.  I don't see why it is
bad to have a tool to do this; if someone can use it (and modify
postgresql.conf) obviously he has permission to read (and write)
postgresql.conf.

"Hoy es el primer dia del resto de mi vida"