Re: Eurodates by default

From: Yury Bokhoncovich <byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Eurodates by default
Date: 2002-03-20 09:02:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> One issues was that the semantics of DateStyle don't fit well into GUC.
> DateStyle takes one or two strings and sets one or two integer variables.
> GUC basically only supports once argument setting one variable of equal
> type.  It can probably still be made to work with all the hooks that are
> in place, but it doesn't look pretty.
> I had once suggested splitting up DateStyle into two variables, one for
> the "style" and for the day/month order.  I think this is ultimately
> clearer to the user, too.

I think it's better to split "datestyle" (representation, separator, etc.,
there is many ways) and "eurodates" (order, de-facto european vs american
- I don't know about any other). The former fits well to string type, the
latter fits to boolean one.

> Others have suggested generalizing the "style" aspect to take a to_char
> format.  This comes with its own set of problems.

I don't like this: unclear and not easy.
Though there is a reason to do that 'cos it will be more similar to
Oracle (forget exact name of the env. variable fully controlling date

WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru(dot)
Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.