Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes

From: Yury Bokhoncovich <byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes
Date: 2002-03-12 04:51:14
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Actually, more to the point, the table owner does own the indexes.  I
> > Sometimes it is very useful to have one owner on a table and another owner
> > on indices of that table (all from real life).
> > BTW, compare with MySQL privileges to manage index/indices.
> Can you explain the advantages?  We don't allow that currently.

Sure. Though I don't think it is a high priority task.

1) There is a table with bulk data updates periodically. The best found
solution to enhance performance was to drop all table's indices before
data update then re-create those again.
2) I (admin) have a few tables as owner and wanna give another user
(programmer) ability to create/drop any necessary indices. At the same
time I do not wanna give him (her) a chance to drop/alter the table

BTW, If ppl want to be more similar to Oracle, remember that it also has
the feature to manage indeces.

WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru(dot)
Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.