Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts

From: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Paul Eggert <eggert(at)twinsun(dot)com>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts
Date: 2002-03-11 23:59:32
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Paul Eggert wrote:
> > > From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
> > > Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:05:17 -0500 (EST)
> > >
> > > This is an interesting patch, but have not heard anyone else have this
> > > problem
> >
> > That's not surprising, since I am purposely running a bleeding-edge
> > system to test PostgreSQL portability.  Nobody is shipping POSIX
> > 1003.1-2001 systems yet (the standard was only approved in December by
> > the IEEE, and it will not be an official ISO standard for a few more
> > weeks yet).  But when they do, you will run into this problem.
> >

> > > and am hesitant to add more cost to fix something that may not be
> > > broken.  Sorry.

Apparently it _is_ broken - Paul wouldn't be submitting a patch if it
wasn't. Duh.

> > There is no cost to PostgreSQL in normal operation, since that part of
> > the source isn't affected at all.  All that is affected is some of the
> > test scripts and documentation.  I see little risk to incorporating
> > the patch, but of course it's your decision.
>
> We are kind of picky about adding complexity when it isn't required.

s/isn't/isn't yet
              ^^^
So you'd prefer to just wait 'till POSIX 1003.1-2001 systems ship?

<sarcasm>
Paul, I guess you should set up an at(1) job to resubmit the patch in a
couple-3 years, or something...
</sarcasm>

--
Dominic J. Eidson