Re: Arch (was RE: Refactoring of command.c )

From: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, John Gray <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Arch (was RE: Refactoring of command.c )
Date: 2002-02-28 04:25:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

[Shame on Christopher for breaking attributions]

> > > What is a repo-copy?
> > > A repo-copy (which is a short form of ``repository copy'') refers to
> > > the direct copying of files within the CVS repository.
> >
> > Yeah, I think that's what we discussed the last time the question came
> > up.
> >
> > It seems awfully wrongheaded to me. IMHO, the entire point of a CVS
> > repository is to store past states of your software, not only the
> > current state. Destroying the accurate representation of your historical
> > releases is a poor tradeoff for making it a little easier to find the
> > log entries for code that's been moved around. What's the point
> > of having history, if it's not accurate?
>
> Sounds like it's time to move to using 'arch':

I see this going down the road of a religious debate, and to prove the
point, I bring up BitKeeper:

http://www.bitkeeper.com

> http://www.regexps.com/#arch
>
> Supports everything that CVS doesn't, including rename events...

So does BitKeeper :)

> BTW - I'm not _seriously_ suggesting this change - but it would be cool,
> wouldn't it?
>
> People could start their own local branches which are part of the global
> namespace, easily merge them in, etc...

This seems quite pointless for PostgreSQL's development.

C'est la vie.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
"Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli