Re: time problem with postgres ODBC driver (fwd)

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: time problem with postgres ODBC driver (fwd)
Date: 2002-02-12 18:24:48
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com> writes:
> > create table tst
> > ( col1 date,
> >   col2 time);
> > When using the PostreSQL ODBC driver version 07.01.0007 against both a 7.2
> > and 7.1.3 database server, a select * from tst returns the date value for
> > col1 correctly, but returns the current date for col2 (which obviously is
> > wrong).
>
> It sounds like ODBC (or the client application) is misinterpreting the
> datatype of col2 as being a "date" or "date/time" type not "time of
> day".  There is a translation between PG internal types and the ODBC
> standard's notion of types, so one possible explanation is that there's
> something getting lost in translation.

What's even more interesting is that casting doesn't help -
col2::time still returns the current date.

> > Interestingly, we have a system that has (had) a driver we had
> > downloaded from GreatBridge ODBC and it was working fine until we
> > installed the PostgreSQL driver onto it.

Us too.  The only difference is that that ODBC driver was an older version
than the new one that was downloaded and started this problem (this problem
occurs on another system for which it was the only driver installed).

(The client program is ArcView).

> This, however, mystifies me.  AFAIK GB's ODBC driver wasn't different
> from the community's.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Thanks.

--