Re: [HACKERS] Serious performance problem

From: "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA(at)rki(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Serious performance problem
Date: 2001-10-30 12:17:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> >Sorry, this is NO solution of my problem.
^^^^
> For every problem there is a solution. That is what software optimization
For sure and as I said I´m really sure that it is a server side programming
issue (and others thought this as well on the hackers list).
But your proposal was not the solution.

> is all about. Do you make use of PL/pgSQL stored queries in your database?
> If not, you will probably end up with terrible nested queries that will
> eat-up server time and power.
Also stored procedures are not the solution and I see no reason to discuss
this topic here on general list (moreover you leave people unclear about
the original question). It was discussed here in two long threads and
belongs to the PostgreSQL programmers. I hope not to violate Tom Lanes
privacy if I quote here one sentence from him in a private posting:
"Performance issues can be discussed in -hackers."
We do not talk about the performance of the datapase application but
about the server itself.

Kind regards

Andreas.