Re: libpgtcl doesn't use UTF encoding of TCL

From: Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <elf(at)solvo(dot)ru>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpgtcl doesn't use UTF encoding of TCL
Date: 2001-09-06 09:43:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Hi Bruce,

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have a patch here that handles all the TCL/UTF issues.
> Would you let me know if it is OK?

I think, it isn't really a clean fix. It only works, if your
database's encoding and Tcl's system encoding are identical. If the
database uses a different encoding than Tcl, you still end up with
wrong characters. Also, the configure switch (if needed at all)
should IMHO be a disable switch, because the conversion is mandatory
for Tcl >= 8.1 unless someone really knows that he won't have any
8-Bit characters in his database. So less people would get bitten, if
UTF conversion was enabled by default for Tcl >= 8.1 .

Besides these flaws, I think the patch could be simpler and avoid the
UTF_BEGIN and UTF_END macros if UTF_U2E and UTF_E2U were (maybe
inlined) functions and defined like this (untested):

char* UTF_U2E(CONST char * source)
{
static Tcl_DString *destPtr = NULL;

if (destPtr == NULL) {
destPtr = (Tcl_DString *) malloc(sizeof(Tcl_DString));
} else {
Tcl_DStringFree(destPtr);
}
return Tcl_UtfToExternalDString(NULL, source, -1, destPtr);
}

See also the mail, I sent to pgsql-patches last Tuesday on the same
topic.

In addition to my suggestion there to require the database to be
UNICODE for Tcl >= 8.1, I just had another Idea how it could be solved
cleanly:

What about making --enable-unicode-conversion mandatory when
PostgreSQL gets compiled with Tcl support and changing PgTcl and
PL/Tcl to set their client encoding to UNICODE at _runtime_ when they
find themselfes running with a Tcl interpreter that needs UTF-8 (i.e.
Tcl >= 8.1)?

Going this way, we could even retain binary compatibility for PgTcl
and PL/Tcl with Tcl versions prior and after Tcl's move to UTF-8.

One Question remains here: Do --enable-multibyte and
--enable-unicode-conversion have any downsides (besides a larger
executable), if they are compiled in, but not used?

cu
Reinhard