how to easily reduce permissions?

From: Robert Kleemann <robert(at)kleemann(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to easily reduce permissions?
Date: 2001-09-03 03:28:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm learning sql and have several working databases on which I would like
to experment with various select statemenets. The databases hold some
active data so I don't want to accidentally change anything.

Is there a way to easily connect to a database with read-only access or do
I have to create a new user, give that user read-only permission, and then
log in as that user?

thanx!
Robert