timestamps and java epochs

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: timestamps and java epochs
Date: 2001-08-24 19:23:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I have a table in which there are two fields that are timestamps.

How do I parse these values back into epoch times?  The
docs say that the values may come back in one of four formats,
how do I know which one I'll get?  I can't seem to get JDBC to
take the "set datestyle" command (it throws an SQLException).

Even better: is there a database function I can use to turn these
things into a unix epoch time?

Thanks,

Laurette
Nextbus, Inc.