Re: PostGreSQL 7.0.3 hangs in SuSE

From: 100(dot)179370(at)germanynet(dot)de (Martin Jacobs)
To: Stephan Richter <srichter(at)cbu(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostGreSQL 7.0.3 hangs in SuSE
Date: 2001-04-07 19:22:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Stephan Richter wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> did anyone notice that PostGres stops its services from time to time in
> SuSE. I do not have the problem with RedHat, my install there is running
> for several month smooth now, but the SuSE install gives me problems every
> second day or so.
> I tried all 7.0.x versions in source and binary form.

Maybe your cron.daily deletes the socket file

/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

Your postmaster should remain running, but clients cannnot
connect?

I had a similar problem and solved it by adding a touch
command to the cron.daily.local script

#
# Prevent cron.daily from deleting postmasters socket files:
#
if [ "$START_POSTGRES" = yes ] ; then
for TMP_DIR in $TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR ; do
find $TMP_DIR/. -type s -name .\*PGSQL.\* -exec /usr/bin/touch {} \;
done
fi

Hope this helps.

Regards

Martin

--
Dipl-Ing. Martin Jacobs * Windsbach * Germany
Registered Linux User #87175, http://counter.li.org/