Re: Estimating Database Disk Space

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <ralough(at)iee(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Estimating Database Disk Space
Date: 2002-04-03 04:55:11
Lists: pgsql-docs
Richard A Lough writes:

> The main point I think that needs validation is whether
> it is best to create a model of a database in order to get
> an accurate estimate of the space needed.

That's pretty much it.  If you want to know how much space something is
going to take, create it and look at it.  I don't think we want to get
users involved into counting the bits of each piece of overhead that comes
with a database.  That creates assumptions that are going to be hard to
overcome or change in the future.