Re: psql slash command '\G'

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql slash command '\G'
Date: 2002-03-25 02:27:24
Lists: pgsql-patches
Ian Barwick writes:

>   The proposed slash command '\G' performs the same function as
>   the existing command '\g' (send query buffer to server and optionally
>   results to a file or pipe) but silently toggles expanded output mode
>   immediately before and immediately after sending the query buffer to
>   the backend.

Sorry, this strikes me as a very random solution to a very particular
problem.  Tomorrow someone comes with a patch to do an implicit \a during
\g -- what letter does he take?

You say \x\g\x is too much typing?  Propose a macro processor.  You don't
like the messages that are printed?  Propose a switch to turn them off.
Or you could make a "conditional \x" that automatically switches to \x
format if there are more than a certain number of columns in the result
set.