Re: DocBook upgrade

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DocBook upgrade
Date: 2002-03-21 18:06:10
Lists: pgsql-docs
I once wrote:

> Briefly after we open the floodgates for 7.2+1 I would like to upgrade our
> documentation sources to use DocBook 4.1.

Just so you know what the status on this is:

As it turns out, DocBook 4.1 (and 4.0)  has some overly restrictive
changes to the content model of some elements (read: "what tags can I put
in what other tags"), and the PostgreSQL documentation is affected by some
of these cases.  Part of these changes will be reverted in the DocBook 4.2
release, which went beta the other day and will be released in a month.
Add to that some time to wait for packages to appear and some general
gratuitous hestitation, we might be at least 6 to 8 weeks away from this
move; maybe it won't even be in this cycle.