Re: Thoughts about the installation instructions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts about the installation instructions
Date: 2002-03-12 17:40:53
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane writes:

> The point of mentioning configuration issues in the usage docs is
> that usage is when people will *find out* that they misconfigured
> something.  A link letting them know what they need to fix when they
> observe some particular problem is not out of place in the usage docs.

Yes, a link to the installation instructions is exactly what I'm
suggesting.  Clearly these things belong into the installation
instructions at least.  But I don't want to repeat the entire spiel about
the shared libperl everywhere PL/Perl is mentioned.  Just say, if you
don't have have it, look into the installation instructions.

> Mumble.  Certainly this could be a separate "book", but I strongly
> disagree with removing it from the standard documentation set.  To
> my mind, the "integrated doc" *is* the standard documentation set and
> should contain everything.

OK.