Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Rich Morin <rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.2 docs
Date: 2002-02-26 22:38:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Rich Morin wrote:
> > I'm looking into doing a set of DOSSIER volumes for 7.2 and I'd like to
> > know the nature of and relationship between some of the docs.

There's an attempt to explain this here:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/docguide.html

> > The archive .../doc/man.tar.gz contains two directories of man pages.
> > Are these simply reformatted versions of sections I and II from the
> > Reference Manual?

Sections I, II, and III. In other words, there's nothing in the man pages
that you don't see in the HTML version or in any other format.

> > The archive .../doc/postgres.tar.gz contains one (huge) directory of
> > HTML pages. Looking at the index.html file, it appears that many (if
> > not all) of the files are are simply reformatted versions of other
> > documents. Is this the case?

It is in the nature of the way we maintain and format our documentation
that any format can be viewed as a reformatted version of another format.
See also under the link posted above.

> > Is there a subset of these pages that
> > it would make sense to print up, in addition to the other documents?

All of these pages are theoretically worth printing. Not sure what "other
documents" you are referring to. If there are any, then there's something
wrong.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net