Re: Accents in SGML

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Accents in SGML
Date: 2002-01-29 15:59:00
Lists: pgsql-docs
Roberto Mello writes:

> We're translating the PG docs to Portuguese and we're trying to find out
> the proper way to get accent characters in the SGML sources.
>
> I've found different approaches by looking around. Some say to just
> include the characters in the sources. Are there shortcuts like HTML's
> "&aacute;"?

Yes, they are the same in DocBook.  (There's a list of all of them at the
end of DocBook: The Definitive Guide.)  If you convert DocBook to HTML
they will actually be carried over, so you ought to constrain yourself to
the subset that browsers can handle.

However, there's really no need to do that.  You can enter any characters
you want unencoded, as long as you tell the processing tools what your
character set is.  As it happens, ISO 8859-1 is the default for jade, so
for Portuguese you don't have to do anything special.