Re: pg_upgrade

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2002-01-13 06:23:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane writes:

> FWIW, I would *never* trust a production database to pg_upgrade in its
> current state; it's untested and can't possibly get enough testing
> before release to be trustable. But if Bruce wants to work on it,
> where's the harm?

There isn't any harm working on it, but the question was whether we want
to enable it in the 7.2 release. Given that you would "never" trust it in
its current state, and me just having seen the actual code, I think that
it's barely worth being put into contrib. Where in fact it should
probably go.

> The only mistake we could make here is to advertise pg_upgrade as
> reliable. Which we will not do.

Or ship pg_upgrade in a default installation and undermine the reliability
reputation for people who don't read advertisements.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net